1 outer bark of the cork oak; used for stoppers for bottles etc.
2 (botany) outer tissue of bark; a protective layer of dead cells [syn: phellem]
3 a port city in southern Ireland
4 the plug in the mouth of a bottle (especially a wine bottle)
2 stuff with cork; "The baseball player stuffed his bat with cork to make it lighter"
- Rhymes: -ɔː(r)k
- Made from, or consisting of, cork.
- Look at that cork statue.
bark of the cork oak
- To seal or stop up, especially with a cork stopper.
- To leave the cork in a bottle after attempting to uncork it.
- In the context of "slang": To be quiet.
- He was so loud I told him to cork it.
- In the context of "baseball": To fill the center of a bat with cork.
- He corked his bat, which was discovered when it broke, causing a controversy.
Cork may refer to:
- Cork, Ireland, including:
- Cork (material), used for bottle stoppers and noteboards
- Cork (surname)
- Canadian_Olympic-training_Regatta,_Kingston, a large annual freshwater sailing regatta
- Cork encoding
- Another name for a stopper (plug)
- Charley horse - commonly referred to as a 'corked' hamstring etc.
cork in Lithuanian: Cork
cork in Dutch: Cork
cork in Simple English: Cork
cork in Slovak: Cork
Carling float, air, asphyxiate, balsa, balsa raft, bar, bark, bedarken, besmirch, bind, black, blacken, blackwash, block, block up, blockade, blot, blotch, bob, bonnet, boom, bottle up, box up, bubble, bung, buoy, cage, cap, caulk, ceil, censor, chaff, charcoal, check, check valve, chink, chip, choke, choke off, choke up, clamp down on, clog, clog up, cloister, cobweb, cock, coif, confine, congest, constipate, constrain, coop, coop in, coop up, cork up, cortex, cover, crack down on, crib, crown, crush, dam, dam up, damp down, darken, denigrate, detain, dinge, dome, down, drown, dust, ebonize, encage, enclose, epicarp, ether, extinguish, fairy, faucet, feather, fence in, fill, fill up, float, flue, fluff, foam, foul, froth, fuzz, gag, gossamer, hat, hem in, hold, hold down, hold in, hold in custody, hold in restraint, hood, immure, impound, inhibit, ink, jam, jump on, keep, keep down, keep in, keep in custody, keep in detention, keep under, kill, lid, life buoy, life preserver, life raft, lock in, maintain, melanize, mew, mew up, mote, murk, muzzle, nigrify, obstipate, obstruct, oversmoke, pack, peel, peeling, peg, pen, pen up, phellum, pin, plug, plug up, pontoon, pound, pour water on, preserve, put down, quash, quell, quench, raft, rail in, repress, restrain, restrict, retain, rind, roof, roof in, save, save up, sea cock, seal up, shackle, shade, shadow, shut down on, shut in, shut up, silence, sit down on, sit on, skin, smash, smirch, smoke, smother, smudge, smut, smutch, soot, spigot, spike, spile, spill, sponge, spume, squash, squelch, stanch, stay, stench, stifle, stop, stop up, stopgap, stopper, stopple, strangle, straw, stuff, stuff up, stultify, subdue, suffocate, suppress, surfboard, tap, thistledown, throttle, tip, top, valve, wall in